Home images
   Logo L'Echiquier — au coeur de la Puisaye 
in the heart of the Puisaye —  L'Echiquier Logo 

Use the menu on the left.
           More to come soon . . .

or have a wander around the European Commission website  EU flag image  
or the Gateway to the European Union (EU) site.   

Image / Sound  
Text version  
Site search-engine
by FreeFind

Update, what's New?



The earliest mentions of "Sanctus Privatus" date back to about 1220. Worship of Saint Privat, who was not a local saint, may have travelled up the Loire with sailors who settled in the village around that time. The Levault Motte (mound), near the former level crossing on the Auxerre–Gien railway line, is believed to have been built in the 13th century by the Lord of Gien to keep an eye on the road from Saint-Fargeau to Bléneau (where the Gâtinais region begins) and the movements of his rival, the Lord of Toucy. It was dominated by a stronghold, an oval brick construction linked by two round towers that was probably destroyed during the Hundred Years War. A series of lakes, long since dried up, were connected to an oxbow lake formed by the River Loing, making the mound hard to reach. The surrounding fields could have been flooded quickly if it was attacked.
Another mound on the former royal road, the Motte-les-Saint-Privé, now known simply as "La Motte", was built to protect travellers. It is still clearly visible despite a dense covering of shrubs.


Henri Harpignies

"At the far end of the cemetery of Saint-Privé, tucked away behind dense vegetation, you can find the tomb of the landscape artist Henri HARPIGNIES (1819-1916).

Described by Anatole FRANCE as the "Michelangelo of trees and traquil countryside", he joined Corot of the Barbizon School before exhibiting his works at the 'Salons'. Harpignies also painted landscapes of Italy and the Côte d’Azur" (Phillipe LANDRU 2007).


Things to see

  • The Saint-Privé channel starts here. It was
  • built in the 17th century to take water from the Loing 21 kilometres to the Canal de Briare, which forms the watershed between the Loire and the Seine.
  • The Lake, in the centre of the village.
  • The Church also in the centre of the village. It has a new roof and spire.
  • The Lavoir.
  • The tomb in the cemetry of the landscape artist Henri HARPIGNIES (1819-1916).

En France : 03 86 74 88 06
De l'etranger : +33 3 86 74 88 06
(+ est l'indicatif téléphonique international, en Europe 00)

  Phone Logo  

In France: 03 86 74 88 06
From outside France: +33 3 86 74 88 06
(+ is the international dialling prefix, in Europe 00)


We hope you enjoy our site and would welcome any comments.
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Créé par / Created by Sefdik on - 15/10-2009  
Pages mises à jour / Last updated - 1-08-2010   
Liens vérifiés / Links last checked - 18/11-2009  
W3C vérifiés / W3C verified - 30/03-2010  

[Haut]-[Top]-[Menu]-[Premier page]-[Front Page]-[Accueil]-[Home]-[Maison]-[House]-[Jardin]-[Garden]-[Environs]-[Nearby]
[Gens]- [People]- [Animaux]-[Animals]-[Images/Sons]-[Images/Sounds]-[Cartes]-[Maps]-[Liens]-[Links]-[A propos]-[About]-[Bas]-[Bottom]